Currently flaring

Use this forum to share your experiences of changes to lifestyle and diet. Have you found anything that helped your colitis ? Have you tried low residue diets or increasing your water intake ?

Moderators: Rosie, Joe Fogey, midjet, andrewg

Jennybean
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 27 Jul 2015

Currently flaring

Postby Jennybean » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi,
This is my first post but I find these sites really helpful when I'm down or curious about other UC suffers.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago and I ended up with IV steroids and 6 months course of steroids tablets. I put on tonnes of weight but I have been in remission forme 1.5 years!

Well that is until I went into the 2nd trimester of my pregnancy when I started flaring and was hospitalised last week. Again I was put on IV steroids for 5 days then sent home with 8 weeks worth of steroids starting on 40mg, gradually reduce these by 5mg weekly. I am so disappointed as I was doing so well.

Apparently pregnancy hormones can play around with flare ups, has anyone else heard this? I am currently on my first week of tablets and it's been a rough ride. They seem to wear off by midnight and I am visiting the bathroom 5 times a night. I hope this will settle.

Has anyone else had difficulty transitioning from IV to tablets? Has anyone hears of Antibodies being used for treatment instead of steroids?

rogalin47
Power poster
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jul 1992

Re: Currently flaring

Postby rogalin47 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Congrats on your pregnancy :D

It was a long time ago as my daughter is 19 but I flared at 16 weeks into my pregnancy with her and this continued all the way through and only got under control after delivery. I took prenisolone and asacol for the duration and had regular check ups with both my gastro team and the midwives along with extra ultrasound scans. My beautiful girl was born prematurely at 34 weeks, she was small but healthy. She does have downs syndrome but this had absolutely nothing to do with my uc or the medication i was on. 19 years on she is fit and healthy and the light of my life.

I haven't heard anything about antibody treatment so can't help there. My advice would be to follow whatever advice your gastro team give you as you need to be as healthy as possible to give your baby everything it needs.

Hope you start to feel better soon and o keep us posted
21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!

Return to “Lifestyle, Diet, and Natural Treatments for Ulcerative Colitis”