How I Beat Ulcerative Colitis - Success Story

Use this forum to share your experiences of changes to lifestyle and diet. Have you found anything that helped your colitis ? Have you tried low residue diets or increasing your water intake ?
nirajnaik
Power poster

How I Beat Ulcerative Colitis - Success Story

Post by nirajnaik »

Hi everyone!

IMPORTANT CAVEAT - before you read this please understand that I am in no way implying or saying that you should stop taking your medications - this is for people who are on medications that are no longer serving them and are desperate for an alternative treatment plan - as I was. Always do your own research, do not take my advice as gospel and always listen to your doctor before attempting anything different to what they are already prescribing.IMPORTANT CAVEAT - before you read this please understand that I am in no way implying or saying that you should stop taking your medications - this is for people who are on medications that are no longer serving them and are desperate for an alternative treatment plan - as I was. Always do your own research, do not take my advice as gospel and always listen to your doctor before attempting anything different to what they are already prescribing.

I thought I would bring a ray of hope to those who suffer from ulcerative colitis by sharing my experience of going into remission for over 1.5 years using natural treatments only.

I had moderate left sided colitis for around 10 months.

I had lost nearly 3 stone in weight and spent most of the day on the toilet!

Finally I found a way to overcome this illness that consisted of a few lifestyle changes:

1. Learning to manage my stress better thru meditation and breathing exercises. Stress and anxiety is a huge trigger for this condition I have found. I was also forced to quit my stressful job as a pharmacist (thank god, as pharmacy is a soul destroying profit led profession that is not interested in making people actually well) due to the illness and had to find a way to work from home, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise! I now have a successful internet based business based around my passion for music and helping people to manage their stress better.

2. Avoiding factory based refined foods that contain high levels of sugar, wheat and salt and spicy foods. Make sure I chew my food very well, as our stomach does not have teeth!

3. Regular exercise for at least 30 mins a day. (simple body weight stuff or yoga - no need for gym)

4. Discovering supplements - probiotics and colostrum (these I feel were both like a godsend that helped eliminate the nasty symptoms likes bleeding and diarrhea quite fast)

I have even had Man Utd football club request my information for their star player Darren Fletcher who seems to be responding well to colostrum and probiotics too.

I have made a little video that give more info on probiotics and colostrum here:

http://www.nirajnaik.com/2012/04/17/ulc ... naturally/

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me, I will do my best to help.

Peace and blessings

Niraj x
Last edited by nirajnaik on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

sycococker
Power poster

Re: How I Beat Ulcerative Colitis - Success Story

Post by sycococker »

Tbh probiotics & diet have never made a single improvement in my UC at all but if they help someone then thats a good thing.

siobhan-83
Power poster

Post by siobhan-83 »

Hi Niraj,

Im really interested in trying the colostrum but would prefer to buy it from a store, are you aware of any health shops that sell it because I dont like buying supplements online, I get paranoid that there could be anything in the tubs.
Thanks

Siobhan

stopnorman
Power poster

Post by stopnorman »

Have never believed these articles that are left saying ive been cured its a load of bull.

There is no cure and i will carry on with a low fibre diet and take medication as prescribed.

Will suffer the flare ups when they happen as im doing now and have been for the last eight weeks.

Certified for Ulcerative Colitis October 2009 but had been treated for IBS approx twenty years. Have never felt well again have problems daily and many flare ups since 03/2010. Now awaiting surgery to have colon/rectum/anus/bowel muscles removed.

Kent_Sile
Power poster

Post by Kent_Sile »

I always thought that colitis and ulcerative colitis were two different diseases?

Colitis can be acute or chronic, whereas Ulcerative Colitis and Crohns are chronic.

The type of colitis referre to by the OP seems more like some form of acute colitis, perhaps caused by the loss of the natural bacteria, wherein probiotics might have a positive affect.

Having tried the probiotic, natural, unprocessed food route myself many years ago, and having it cause further deterioration of my health, I'm not likely to take up the offer.

Diagnosed: Ulcerative Colitis/Crohns of the Large Bowel, (UC diagnosed January 2008; Crohns diagnosed August 2013)
Medication: 4.8 mg Octasa & mesalazine foam enema 1g nocte; metronidazole 3 x daily.

Eddie390

Post by Eddie390 »

I'm glad it works for you,probiotics all that has done for me is give me severe stomach achen I tried alovera which worked for a month ( that was a good month) at the moment I am on sulfasalazine and bundenofalk enemas which is helping, mesalazine made my joints swell but I'm willing to try anything

Arksun76
Power poster

Post by Arksun76 »

Certainly suggestions of regular exercise, leading less stressful life, eating home made yoghurt and avoiding refined sugars are good suggestions that I think everyone could benefit from to some degree.
How much a degree of improvement varies wildly though, for some its a mild if barely noticeable change, for others it can mean stopping medication completely, certainly it wont harm you to take care of healthy better. Sadly I don't fit into that camp, but I do feel if I didn't look after my diet and health as much as I do, my UC problems would probably be a lot worse than they are and feel lucky I can manage on just Asacol. Have yet to need steroids since my initial diagnosis back in 2007.

Since substituting honey for sugar I've grown to prefer the taste of it in my tea now.

bathgateUC

Post by bathgateUC »

I was also beginning to think that I had been cured too. No meds at all and no flare ups for 2 years until late November 2012, then bang! Picked up a nasty cold when out with the kids and straight to the colon area, been struggling big time ever since. Back on those horrid steroids to try and get back into remission of some sort.

I have very little faith in GP's or consultants, my last one in Edinburgh admitted that he can only prescribe what is allowed and I should feel free to discover or experiment with alternatives, all he can do is try his best to help but within the confines of what is available on the UK drug market and has been given the green light by the authorities. Not his fault at all but a fault of the system, it's been 3 years since I've seen a consultant. All they want to do is recommend surgery, meaning the best part of 12 months off for a self-employed guy running his own business! That alone would cause me untold stress and probably a heart attack!

Through desperation about 3-4 years ago I even tried an experimental drug called LDN - a former business partner suffering from Crohn's used it, but the stuff he gave me was out of date and it nearly hospitalised me. It's in very early research and is used in MS sufferers.

Our biggest problem is that the disease is so personal and individual, with so many success and failure stories out there, differing diets, differing drugs, what works, what doesn't. Unfortunately it's complete trial and error for us all, in the hope that one day we find the "cure".

CPickles

Post by CPickles »

A certain amount of sceptism arises in me when I see a new and wonderful food recommended - oh yes here we go again.

The main thing I would take from this "success" story is the part 1 - manage your stress better.
And then on the diet issue, avoid your trigger foods

it begins with a smile

kmatic85

Post by kmatic85 »

Niraj - great story - I too have maintained remission through diet alone. it is possible. be careful though, there are certain trigger foods that can cause a flare up. There is indeed no cure for colitis yet, but you can be symptom free through dietary modulation.

sycocoker - probiotics help but its the food and drink choices that make the difference

Stopnorman - not bull. What does your diet look like?

eddie390 - you too what does your diet look like?

BathgateUC - what did you eat or drink a month-ish before your flare? there must've been a trigger.

By the way, stress is overrated. Everyone gets stressed out and yes it does indeed affect bacterial microbiota, but the biggest trigger is certain foods.

No beer, wine, red meat, cheese, eggs or preservatives should do the trick. spicy foods are fine, fiber is amazing IF you're in remission.

follow me on twitter Kmatic85!