Stress!

Use this forum to share your experiences of changes to lifestyle and diet. Have you found anything that helped your colitis ? Have you tried low residue diets or increasing your water intake ?

Stress - rate 1 to 5 (1 being least) how you believe it is connected to a flare up

Poll ended at Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:13 pm

No votes
No votes
14%
No votes
86%
Don't Know
No votes

Total votes: 7

CPickles

Stress!

Post by CPickles »

Firstly Happy new year, hopefully 13 is lucky for you 8)

There is plenty of advice on diets - some more zealous than others.

But there doesn't seem to be as much discussion on stress?? Is it just something that we have to accept as part of life.

What is your opinion on it and what do you do to relax.

Thanks and to your health in 2013

Cpickles

Diagnosed 2007, now have Moderate UC, started Azathioprine and Allopurinol in December 12, halfway through course of steriods.

it begins with a smile

Kent_Sile
Power poster

Re: Stress!

Post by Kent_Sile »

Stress does have an affect, certainly anxiety about incontinence doesn't help, but I'm not sure how much of a part in plays in setting off a flare.

Diagnosed: Ulcerative Colitis/Crohns of the Large Bowel, (UC diagnosed January 2008; Crohns diagnosed August 2013)
Medication: 4.8 mg Octasa & mesalazine foam enema 1g nocte; metronidazole 3 x daily.

CPickles

Post by CPickles »

Hi Kent_Sile,

Thanks a million for the reply. I was begining to give up hope when there were circa 50 views but no reply.
Yes I agree that there are certainly two parts to it - before a flare up and during a flare up.

The reason for asking is that I did a stress test a while back during remission as part of work programme and I was found to be slightly negative (slightly vulnerable but within the acceptable range). The tester stated that in his experience he has found the only people to be consistently in the postive range are practioners of Yoga! I'm not sure if there are any regular practioners on here who could agree???

I found this test online which seems to agree but it does have its limitations (it seems to test during a flare-up rather than remission). It also seems to be pushing a drug called transdermal clonidine (15 mg/wk) so I don't know if is PR work.
http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/290/1/R224.long

it begins with a smile

ctcondor
Power poster

Post by ctcondor »

Hiya,

I believe that stress is a very large contributory factor to flare ups. My first flare up was back in March 2011 and was during a particularly bust time at work, my current flare started in April 2012 after the birth of my daughter - a very stressful time!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to follow that a lack of stress causes remission! I don't think I'm that stressed these days but my UC is still troubling me.

Claire xx

Azathioprine 150mg daily
Infliximab infusions started 20/03/13

bathgateUC

Post by bathgateUC »

I'm a firm in that stress, certainly for me is a massive factor in Ulcerative Colitis. I was diagnosed in 1998 and admit like many others to having long periods of remission but flare-ups seem to occur unexpectedly, until I tried tracing any root cause. The one overriding common denominator was that every flare up was either during or after stress episodes.

The confusing aspect is that up until two months ago I was symptom free for nearly two years where I have experienced unbelievable amounts of stress in work and my personal life - I am sure this has been the catalyst for the latest outbreak.

I was taking Azathioprine 200mg daily for around 10 years (which in my opinion are useless), they clearly do not work, not for me. I think the body and mind often has us believe because we are taking medication then it must be doing us good, so hence a lot of "feel good" factor in the first weeks of any new meds. When flare-up happened the best htithing for me was Prednisolone (40mg reducing by 5mg per week) at first but had nasty side effects. Taking this drug over a number of years for a prolonged period certainly has its downsides.

Over two years ago with my consultant unable to offer any alternative suggestions, I came off meds alltogther - I was fine for 2 years until yet another flare up two months back - stress however is still very much on the forefront.

CPickles

Post by CPickles »

BathgateUC - good to hear that you have noticed a personal link between stress and the dread flare-ups :devil: .

I hate prednisolones too, but they do work. I cannot wait to finish up my reducing dose. I have just started azathiprine 25mg and allopurinl (?mg) daily so hoping they will help.

Considering talking to my GP about anti anxiety or depression tablets to help too.

it begins with a smile