Saturated Fat and Sulfur

Use this forum to share your experiences of changes to lifestyle and diet. Have you found anything that helped your colitis ? Have you tried low residue diets or increasing your water intake ?
Jmtsull450
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 05 Jul 2016

Saturated Fat and Sulfur

Post by Jmtsull450 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:40 am

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed last year with UC and didn't know what to do. Finally I am getting some headway with what causes inflammation for me. Saturated fat. Bone soup which is supposed to be healing counters itself if there was fat around the bone! Cheese (no more beloved pizza or pesto) - my Italian deli owners suggested i make pesto with grated tofu instead. At the opposite end of the scale stewed apples are great; if the skin is good, keep it on as the pectin is healing (an apple a day keeps the doctor away - looks like there was truth in it after all) so anything that has or creates sulfur in the gut feeds nasty bacteria that causes inflammation which basically arms the enemy with weapons against your own self. Put on your Chemistry hat and search those food compositions with sulfur, or causing sulfur in the gut, and hopefully your problems will reduce. I'm not a doctor but this is what I have found works for me. Best wishes.