Tapering off prednisolone after using for 4 years

Use this to discuss your experiences of medications. Have you tried any of the new medications like colazine or remicade ? How did you find them ? Have you found some medications worked far better for you than others ?
Karencraig
Power poster
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 08 Jan 2010

Re: Tapering off <a href=

Post by Karencraig » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:56 am

Might also be worth getting ferritin levels checked too (iron).

EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.

clarabella
Power poster
What is your status: Carer or relative
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 10 Jun 2012

Post by clarabella » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:27 pm

Oh I didn't know that the prednisolone effects your iron levels. I know it effects bones, as my hubby's bone density decreased slightly because of them and he is now taking calcium supplements and doing weight training.

Karencraig
Power poster

Post by Karencraig » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:36 pm

It wouldn't be the steroids, it would be the colitis. Same as the vitamins. Steroids may have masked the effects by giving a feeling of wellbeing. May not be a lack of anything but Vitamin Bs and ferritin would cause fatigue, and can be tested.

When is the GP appointment?

EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.

clarabella
Power poster

Post by clarabella » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:09 pm

It's this Friday in the afternoon. I'm actually much more scared than he is, as usual!

If he does have low levels of B12 and Ferin, can it just be fixed by diet changes and supplements?

Karencraig
Power poster

Post by Karencraig » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:03 pm

supplements. But a diet also helps.
If that's what it is, you'll know, and it'll be fixed.

Good luck - we'll wait for the update. Hope its a simple as that - its amazing what a lack of vitamins/minerals can do.

Actually, another silly question - could he be dehydrated - that can also make you feel spaced out and tired. And if he's got watery output, may well be. If the GP isn't sure, stoma nurse would be a good contact. I find sports drinks great for the odd times I've been dehydrated. Have a look at this site

http://www.stomawise.co.uk/diet/dehydration

clarabella
Power poster

Post by clarabella » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks for the support Karen, it really helps.

Well he actually ended up in hospital last night with a blockage, ah! I thought we were over them. I don't know what could have caused it, must have been something he ate. He was vomiting and having watery outputs, but no pain. He refused to go to the ER until he started getting a bit of pain as he thought it may have been a tummy bug.

Karencraig
Power poster

Post by Karencraig » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:30 pm

Bugger! How is he? How are you? Rule of thumb, forget the pain, no output and vomiting, straight to A&E in future.

clarabella
Power poster

Post by clarabella » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:16 am

Yeah I told him that but he wouldn't listen. Next time I will just take him to the A&E once he starts vomiting.

He is ok now, at home. He is just a bit sore. The doctor told him to keep to bland diet for the next few days. I was wondering if it was something he ate. The surgeon said that it was a standard blockage and they don't know what caused it. His blood work was fine, which is good.

Karencraig
Power poster

Post by Karencraig » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Glad to hear he's home. Both of you feet up and rest.
So his blood's came back ok then? Might be worth him checking he drinks enough. I try Morrisons sports drinks. If the fatigue is through dehydration you can feel the improvement (other supermarket brands are available)

clarabella
Power poster

Post by clarabella » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:09 pm

Thanks Karen,

Yeah his blood work was fine. I wonder if it is dehydration. I will have a look into the Morrisons sports drinks.