I'm struggling with car parking.

Use this forum for anything else colitis related. Strugling with the disease on a day to day basis - then somebody may be able to help you. Looking for some information - each topic in these forums are viewed by hundreds of other sufferers who may be able to help.
joseph.g
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 0-12-2009

I'm struggling with car parking.

Post by joseph.g » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi.
I suppose I am just having a gripe at who gets a blue badge and who doesn't.
Yes I like other members on here struggle with car parking, I mean disabled bays near to toilets.
I have Crohn's / Colitis throughout my large bowel plus IBS and since developing Crohn's I have become Gluten intolerant.
If that's not bad enough Wigan council a few years ago refused to renew my blue badge as an Occupational Therapist said I could walk OK!!
As you will all know what has walking in of itself got to do with it? OK sometimes I am bent double when needing access to a toilet so walking at that time is difficult and she the OT didn't see me walking at that time. After being refused a blue badge I now have to work out before my journey where I will be able to park near to where there is a toilet. We with Crohn's disease or Colitis suffer from a hidden disability, we look OK some of the time we walk OK some of the time but we are not are we? I have searched the forum for news on the blue badge scheme but I must have been looking as is usual for me in the wrong place. Question, has the blue badge scheme gotten any better these last few years, and are we the people with hidden disabilities now being looked after better regarding the blue badge scheme?
I am sorry for the gripe but I feel a little better in myself getting that off my chest. :D
Your views on the blue badge scheme or car parking in general are very welcome.
Joe.

rogalin47
Power poster
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jul 1992

Re: I'm struggling with car parking.

Post by rogalin47 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:42 pm

I sympathise as there's nothing worse than needing the loo and worrying you're not going to get there in time. I also sympathise with your blue badge woes, my daughter has Downs Syndrome and has just been turned down for one because she can walk and is not classed as disabled enough. I appreciate the scheme is in place for the less mobile of us but new regulations are coming in this year which will take into account mental disability such as autism, lack of danger awareness and other hidden disabilities. It may be worth re-applying in a few months time once the new rules are in place.

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!

joseph.g
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 0-12-2009

Re: I'm struggling with car parking.

Post by joseph.g » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Hi, rogalin47.
Many Thanks for taking the time to reply and I do sympathise with you and your daughter.
I will keep an eye out for the new rules for the blue badge scheme.
Best Wishes.
Joe.