How long to wait to visit ER when you have no stoma output?

Are you considering surgery ? Have you had surgery ? Trying to cope with colostomy ? Share your experience with others here.

Moderators: Rosie, Joe Fogey, midjet, andrewg

clarabella
Power poster
What is your status: Carer or relative
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 10 Jun 2012

How long to wait to visit ER when you have no stoma output?

Postby clarabella » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi guys,

I just have a quick question, how long do you wait before visiting the ER when you have no output from your stoma?

My hubby has been doing fabulously until today. He has had no output from his stoma all day. However, he feels fine. No pain, nausea or vomiting. Before lunch he had pain and nausea and drank coke and it went away. He has had lots of peppermint tea and a bath and still no output. I'm a bit worried as he hasn't had any output for about 10 hours. I's gurgling a bit, but nothing else.

Should I make him go to A&E or wait a bit longer to see if it clears on it's own? Is it a blockage or something else? Could his bowel have fallen asleep?

Has anyone else had this experience of no stoma output, but no pain and nausea?

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Clara

Karencraig
Power poster
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 08 Jan 2010

Re: How long to wait to visit ER when you have no stoma outp

Postby Karencraig » Mon May 01, 2017 9:21 am

Whenever you feel worried enough to go. Better to be told everything is fine. Or ring your stoma nurse for advice, usually its get yourself to A&E.

But, as the others mentioned on your other post, blockages usually have pain. So based on that the general guideline is 24 hours if no relief, OR as soon as the person starts vomiting.

In this area, we are advised to see GP who will do a direct referral to surgical triage, rather than A&E.
EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.

wooly-bobs
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 11 Dec 1991

Postby wooly-bobs » Tue May 16, 2017 10:02 am

Is it an immediate threat to life? Is it an emergency?

No output isn't urgent, A&E is packed to the limit as it is with none GP attenders.

Unless you are about to rupture contact your nurse, if they say go to A&E they are passing the buck. Very common with GPs who are about to finish for the day.
UC free for the first time in 21 years!
Proctocolectomy with ileo anal anastomosis and j pouch formation in one painful surgery....
J Pouch activated April 2014, so far so good...
Ex Colitis Sufferer!

Karencraig
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 08 Jan 2010

Postby Karencraig » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Actually no output for 24 hours, or being sick within the 24 hours does require an A&E visit. or a visit to a GP who will do a direct referral to a surgical ward.
EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.

Return to “Surgery”