Inactive bowel after surgery.

Are you considering surgery ? Have you had surgery ? Trying to cope with colostomy ? Share your experience with others here.

Moderators: Rosie, Joe Fogey, midjet, andrewg

cgmerriman
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Aug 2014

Inactive bowel after surgery.

Postby cgmerriman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:03 pm

Hello,

After 3 years of suffering with UC, I took the decision to go for elective surgery to try and get my life back. I had a sub-total colectomy via key hole surgery on Tuesday 27th June. The surgery went well, as did my initial recovery. However, I am still not getting any proper output from my stoma other than liquid every so often. This led me to be very unwell earlier this week with lots of pain and being sick. Managed to get it back under control by reverting to drips and having an NG tube into my stomach. I am now a little more settled and back to oral medication and eating and drinking in very small amounts. But still no output from stoma so expecting to go back downhill again. After a CT scan the doctors assure me that it is all fine and it will happen, but after almost two weeks of pain and discomfort, I am losing hope.

I was wondering if anybody else has had any similar experiences straight after surgery?

Thanks

philayl63
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 0- 2-2001

Re: Inactive bowel after surgery.

Postby philayl63 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi, my wife has had three operations on her bowel in the last couple of years, in all cases her bowel refused to function for three to four weeks after the surgery, I believe it is a condition known as "Paralytic Bowel", she had the exact same symptoms as you. It will come right in the end you will just need to be a patient patient! Sorry about that I'll get me coat. Phil

Return to “Surgery”