Really worried, id appreciate some thoughts please..

Are you considering surgery ? Have you had surgery ? Trying to cope with colostomy ? Share your experience with others here.
OrsenTrapp
Power poster

Re: Really worried, id appreciate some thoughts please..

Post by OrsenTrapp »

Well, that's the thing with sailing. A rough crossing and there's no hope of emptying a bag whereas a well-behaved colon deals with everything first thing in the morning and doesn't bother me again for the rest of the day! Overnight emptying fine (though I'm so used to sleeping through the night now it would be a pain) except on a boat. At anchor, using the 'heads' wakes the rest of the crew and it's forbidden in a marina so again a long trek along pontoons in the early hours/dark! In case guts gave me problems, I took the bunk next to the heads where it's noisiest - and I was the one who didn't use them in the middle of the night! :lol:

Not 'suffering', just living with something I now know I've had a long time - and trying to maintain my sense of humour :D
UC upgraded to severe crohn's with 'small print', ie rare, complications.

rogalin47
Power poster

Post by rogalin47 »

There's nothing to say you have to use toilets, portaloos or even heads to empty your bag
Any sealed container will do. Or if you're really desperate, a plastic bag....but not a supermarket carrier cuz they've got little holes in :lol: If you're worried about smell or spillage just add a handful of cat litter

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!

Karencraig
Power poster

Post by Karencraig »

oh good idea, never through of using a bag with cat litter.

EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.

OrsenTrapp
Power poster

Post by OrsenTrapp »

Cat litter's a great idea, thanks - but it's the physical impossibility of precision emptying in a rough sea and where does one store the container/bag contents in the meantime, maybe for a couple of days? Plus it would have to be non-glass (so rules out jam jar) and something with a really tight seal that wouldn't come off if the item ended up bouncing around the cabin ... then it/they eventually has to be cleaned in a public place (loos or boat cabin .. would probably have to be a bucket of seawater ..). :shock: Actually, quite amusing thinking of what would happen in a sealed container with cat litter .... BANG! Lovely that we can all talk about such things here! :laugh:

Not 'suffering', just living with something I now know I've had a long time - and trying to maintain my sense of humour :D

rogalin47
Power poster

Post by rogalin47 »

I don't think you need worry about precision emptying, most bags have quite a long emptying spout so once that's in or over a container it shouldn't be a problem. I would have thought it was far simpler than trying to stay seated on a loo that's bucking around all over the place. Washing a container out with sea water would be no different than normal plain water and as for storing full poop bags how about a lidded bucket?

And I agree, where else could we discuss body functions and fluids so happily but on here :yes:

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!

OrsenTrapp
Power poster

Post by OrsenTrapp »

Seated is the easiest bit! It's the getting out of full waterproofs, wedging yourself in, then timing the sitting down for the right wave. Once you're there it's fine (unless someone's left the pan full of water)! Don't know why but the helmsman always seems to manage to throw the boat off balance just as someone goes below for the necessities!! I remember when I was 17 and a passenger on a charter boat - the skipper put in a tactless tack just as another girl was in the heads and she got stuck inside. Think the salad bowl (with salad!) ended up on the floor at the same time ... girl's mum wasn't a sailor so it was on the table rather than in the sink or the gimballed cooker! :lol:

Karencraig
Power poster

Post by Karencraig »

If you've got toilets on board, you would just empty the contents into the bowl, the only difference is it comes out of the bag, rather than your rectum.

Really how surreal are we getting here.. Orsen, you're not having surgery, and I'm not going sailing.... but yes where else could we discuss!! (and there might be some person quietly reading, who does have a stoma, and wants to go sailing :D )

EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.

OrsenTrapp
Power poster

Post by OrsenTrapp »

Yep, know the procedure, but it's a very small bowl and seat (sea loos generally are for practical reasons) so you can't sit back in the approved manner. Kneeling a possibility if nothing else needs to be done at the same time but not a stable position to be in. Last week it was definitely two hands to hold on and none to spare! :P Rectum, etc, is kinda nearer the target area. I do wonder how the gentlemen manage ... :oops: (actually, I gather it's a little tricky ...!)

OrsenTrapp
Power poster

Post by OrsenTrapp »

Just wondering why nobody's invented some sort of artificial colon - like a holding tank where stuff can be kept internally and emptied in the standard manner as a colon does. There are artificial heart valves, etc, so why not an artificial anus operated electronically when necessary/convenient?* You'd have thought these days with all the technology for much more complicated body parts someone could come up with something creative. I suppose, like steroids, 'it's been done this way for years' ..
*OK, that's just conjured up an image of one operating accidentally when someone presses their car remote key ... :whistle:

Karencraig
Power poster

Post by Karencraig »

:D