Frequent blockages post total colectomy help!

Are you considering surgery ? Have you had surgery ? Trying to cope with colostomy ? Share your experience with others here.
clarabella
Power poster

Re: Frequent blockages post total colectomy help!

Post by clarabella »

Hi rogalin47,

Thank you for your reply. I know it takes some time to get better. My husband thought he would be instantly better after the operation and has been finding the recovery process frustrating. I keep having to hold him back from doing things and remind him to rest.

I’ve been giving him potato, but was a bit worried about carrots. I may try him on some other underground veg next week.

I have been giving him smaller meals the last few days and keep nagging at him to chew. He is used to eating 3 large meals a day and just shovelling the food down his throat so I’m nagging at him a lot lately!

Ok I’ll keep an eye on his stoma. It has actually been decreasing in size lately and the nurse had to give him new bags as the old bags she had cut were now too big.

I’ve now got a can of coke in case he has another blockage. I’ll get some peppermint tea as well.

Thanks for your advice. As I said to Karen, it really helps. I’ve been so scared lately and feel better being able to talk to people who have actually been through it.

Thanks,
Clara

rogalin47
Power poster

Post by rogalin47 »

Having this operation and learning to live with a stoma can be overwhelming and scary, not just for the patient but for all their loved ones too. In some ways it's tougher to be the partner as the patient is getting all the care and attention and is bring looked after but the husbands and wives are left to deal with everything sitting on the sidelines so to speak.

This is such a brilliant forum, no question is too rude, too daft or too small. Someone.....if you're lucky it's usually the incomparable karen :D ......Will always be along to help with advice and support.

You are doing all the right things and your hubby is very lucky to have you

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!

clarabella
Power poster

Post by clarabella »

Thank you rogalin for your kind words.

It is very overwhelming, I didn't think it would be. However, this forum has been amazing and I've only just joined!

Karencraig
Power poster

Post by Karencraig »

Oh blockages are horrible!

He will get his confidence back - just remember this is a period of recovery and recuperation, feet up and comfort food. I got complan on a prescription because it was free - dietician thought it better than buying it. But nothing to stop you just buying it. I did find though the milk makeup was a bit too filling, I used water, but if you do try it, he'll find his own way, and if he needs it.

EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.

clarabella
Power poster

Post by clarabella »

Thanks Karen. If he loses more weight, I will try complan. He is still big, but I don't want his weight to plummet and become a problem.

rogalin47
Power poster

Post by rogalin47 »

Make lots of high calorie meals, add butter and milk to mashed potatoes. Full fat milk rice pudding, porridge with cream and sugar, macaroni cheese, custard, soups with added cream and butter.....the list is endless. All easy on the gut too so shouldn't cause any problems to a healing tum.

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!

Karencraig
Power poster

Post by Karencraig »

And that's the lady to advise!

EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.

rogalin47
Power poster

Post by rogalin47 »

Thanks Karen!

I've certainly had my fair share of blockages especially over the last 18 months so yeah I guess I know by now what suits bruised and sore guts and what to avoid.

Smooth soup is usually my first choice after any problems and I do choose to eat yogurts post blockage which is funny as I don't eat them any other time!

philayl63
Power poster

Post by philayl63 »

clarabella wrote:(2 pieces of plain white bread and 2 servings of homemade mash, not in the same meal).
Hi clarabella, that is a shame, I had this vision of a sandwich with an inch thick filling of mashed potato! I have been very fortunate with blockages, I think I only had one but that was enough. I had the same procedure 3 years ago and it took a good 6 to 8 weeks before I felt anything like human, I also lost some weight, it's only to be expected after such an invasive procedure. You keep nagging him, I've had 48 years of nagging and it really does keep you on your toes. Phil

rogalin47
Power poster

Post by rogalin47 »

A more modern version of a chip butty hey Phil?!!