Frequent blockages post total colectomy help!

Are you considering surgery ? Have you had surgery ? Trying to cope with colostomy ? Share your experience with others here.
rogalin47
Power poster

Re: Frequent blockages post total colectomy help!

Post by rogalin47 »

That is good news, nothing worse than constant blockages :devil:

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!

clarabella
Power poster

Post by clarabella »

I think I spoke too soon. He ended up with another one last night and is in hospital now. I really don't know what caused it this time.

Karencraig
Power poster

Post by Karencraig »

:cry: Hope you are both ok, and he's home soon.

EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.

clarabella
Power poster

Post by clarabella »

Thanks Karen.

He's home now. It was just a standard blockage according to the surgeon. He is ok, just sore. I'm ok, just a bit tired.

rogalin47
Power poster

Post by rogalin47 »

Hi clarabella

So sorry to hear about hubbys latest blockage. I've had more than my fair share of them in the past and know exactly how painful and upsetting they can be.

I would strongly recommend that you and your husband request a second opinion to see if you can get to the bottom of why he is getting so many blockages. I know he's only a few months post op but he really shouldn't be experiencing so many.

There was a mechanical reason for all my obstructions (surgical mesh behind my stoma) which has now been resolved but I had to go down the second opinion route before I felt anyone really took my concerns seriously.....mind you 8 hospital admissions in 18 months should have been enough proof that something was wrong :devil: I had further surgery last month to remove the mesh and re-site my stoma to the left and so far my new stoma is behaving beautifully and my chronic pain has gone too. Sometimes you just have to shout a little bit louder to be heard. Don't put up and shut up as I was made to feel I should do, if something's not right it needs investigation

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!

Karencraig
Power poster

Post by Karencraig »

Great advice, and good to hear your chronic pain has finally gone.

EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.

rogalin47
Power poster

Post by rogalin47 »

Yep I'm one happy bunny once again :great: :na:

clarabella
Power poster

Post by clarabella »

Hi rogalin47,

Thank you for your advice - a second opinion would be good. Did you constantly have blockages straight after the surgery or did it take a while for to occur? I am so worried about him as he has had a few blockages over the last few months. Mind you he does eat whatever he wants, not sure if that would have an impact?

I'm glad to hear you are no longer in any pain. Sounds like you have been through a lot to get there.

Probably a stupid question, but what was the mesh behind the stoma site for? Is that to keep the stoma in place? How did you find out that it was the mesh that was causing your bloackages?

rogalin47
Power poster

Post by rogalin47 »

Don't worry about surgical mesh being to blame for hubbys blockages as he won't have any behind his stoma. Mine was put in 14 months after my initial ileostomy surgery because I had a large hernia behind my stoma and it was needed to hold the bowel back. I was always convinced it was causing all my problems because I hadn't had any issues before it was put in. Convincing my surgeon was hard as he didn't agree which is why I pushed for a second opinion. Thankfully the second surgeon I saw agreed with me and as I said I had further surgery last month to have it taken out where it was proved that yes it was at the root of all my problems. (I knew deep down it was so I do feel just a tad smug :wink: )

You say hubby is eating well, is he chewing his food properly? I think we 're all guilty of not chewing enough but it is very important to remember the best advice of chew, chew and chew again. The large bowel deals with fibre, roughage etc and whilst the small bowel does an admirable job in its place sometimes it's still not quite good enough and a build up of undigested or under chewed food can be to blame for a blockage. Desiccated coconut is one example, it all sticks together and comes out in one big matted plug.....as I found out once very very painfully after eating one small bounty bar! :whip: It sounds as though he just needs a gentle reminder to maybe chew a bit more and be kind to his new plumbing

Karencraig
Power poster

Post by Karencraig »

totally agree, if you don't chew the fibre, it comes out in the state it does down in. Coconut, no chance, had experience with a few cubes of coconut ice! Pineapple is a no no too.