Frequent blockages post total colectomy help!

Are you considering surgery ? Have you had surgery ? Trying to cope with colostomy ? Share your experience with others here.
clarabella
Power poster
What is your status: Carer or relative
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 10 Jun 2012

Re: Frequent blockages post total colectomy help!

Post by clarabella » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi guys, sorry for my late reply. My hubby has been doing well and so far he has not had any more blockages. Although tonight he is saying his belly hurts a bit, but his stoma has been working. I of course am worried sick. I have made him have a cup of tea and water. Hopefully it’s not a blockage.

I need to remind him to chew properly, he literally inhales his food. He also, eats whatever he wants - lettuce, peppers, onions etc. The only thing he doesn't touch is nuts and sweet corn. Do you have to follow a specific diet with your stoma?

I want him to see another doctor, but he is resistant to do so. Hubby thinks it's just teething problems. He expects to eat whatever he likes and to be fine. It is frustrating sometimes. I am so worried that it is something more sinister than just food blockages, as it keeps happening.

Karencraig
Power poster
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 08 Jan 2010

Post by Karencraig » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:05 am

I'm sure anything sinister would have shown up. But if you are worried, tell him, and tell him you need him to have it checked for your peace of mind otherwise he's going to be nursing you.

I think diet depends on the individual, but after my blockage I tend to chop all fibre up or cook well. For peppers and onions I tend to pop in a food processor with the garlic, cos I'm rubbish at chewing.

I find I am uncomfortable if there's a lot or large bit of fibre working through. I get watery output before the fibre, and wind, so that probably adds to the discomfort.

Glad to hear he's doing well though. And good on him for continuing with life as normal. He's in charge and not the stoma.

EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.

clarabella
Power poster
What is your status: Carer or relative
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 10 Jun 2012

Post by clarabella » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Well I thought I would post a quick update on my hubby. He is doing wonderfully, eating whatever he wants (fruit, veg etc.), going to the gym and lifting weights and feeling healthy for the first time in years.

My husband hasn't had any major blockages. He has been keeping his water intake up and drinking lots of peppermint tea. He did get a minor blockage while we were away on holiday (he ate a whole box of muesli bars - I could have strangled him!), but it did pass with the aid of coke and lots of peppermint tea.

He is steadily coming down on the steroids, he's on 3mg per day now and should be off them completely in a few months. He is doing a taper of 1mg per month.

The only problem is the pain in the rectum, but he will be getting the last bit of colon removed - just don't know when.

I would really like to thank everyone for their help and advice. Advice on diet, how to deal with blockages and others experiences has helped me so much. Thank you!!

Karencraig
Power poster
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 08 Jan 2010

Post by Karencraig » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Great news! So pleased for you both :D And the fact you are annoyed at the muesli bars rather than worrying about the blockage shows how better things are!

Keep it up, and keep us updated.

EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.