Significant decrease in stoma output, but feel fine

Are you considering surgery ? Have you had surgery ? Trying to cope with colostomy ? Share your experience with others here.
clarabella
Power poster
What is your status: Carer or relative
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 10 Jun 2012

Significant decrease in stoma output, but feel fine

Post by clarabella » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi,

Has anyone experienced changes in their stoma output with no other problems?

My hubby's stoma usually works like clockwork and he has to empty it about 5-6 times a day. For the last two days, his output has decreased significantly (he has only emptied it twice per day). I was worried it was a blockage and he did have some of the symptoms for a few hours (pain and nauseous), but they disappeared yesterday and he says he feels fine, no pain or nauseous just a decrease in output.

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Clara

philayl63
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 0- 2-2001

Re: Significant decrease in stoma output, but feel fine

Post by philayl63 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:25 am

Hi clarabella, output can alter, unless there is any pain or discomfort I wouldn't worry about it, a stoppage for a length of time needs investigating but otherwise I have found these things work themselves out. If you are really concerned try ringing the stoma nurse I'm sure she will help. Phil

clarabella
Power poster

Post by clarabella » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks for your reply Phil - it really helps!

I'm going to ring his nurse on Monday. He tells me the stoma is working, just very slowly. He has no pain etc.

I don't know if it is because he hasn't eaten much in the last few days and has been doing DIY from dawn till dusk (we are currently renovating our house)?

rogalin47
Power poster
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jul 1992

Post by rogalin47 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:29 pm

I agree with Phil it really doesnt sound like anything to worry about. A blockage in my experience is ALWAYS accompanied by severe pain..... And believe me ive had plenty of them!

I find the amount of times I need to empty my bag varies from day to day, some days, especially when Im at work I can go all day without ever emptying it and only do so once I get home. Other days I seem to need to empty 5-6 times during the course of a day. Sometimes its more and sometimes its less. Consistency varies daily too from being very watery to very thick. Of course it all depends on just what and how much Ive eaten too but no two days are the same for me. You say hubby hasnt eaten much the last few days. Sounds as though thats why his output is considerably less. But of course if you are worried then have a chat with his stoma nurse.

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!

clarabella
Power poster

Post by clarabella » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:44 pm

Well hubby is back to normal now. His output was low for two days and he felt bloated. It then just became normal again. It was very strange. Glad it is sorted.

Thank you all for your replies - it helps so much!