Depressed After Blood Transfusion

Nearly three out of four ulcerative colitis (UC) sufferers (73 percent) responding to a new nationwide survey say not feeling well has become a normal part of life. Furthermore, they describe UC as disruptive when it comes to their relationship with a spouse (64 percent), their sexual relations (75 percent) and their emotional state (82 percent).
How do you cope with colitis ? Are you struggling with the emotional effects ? Even if a problem shared isn't a problem halved it may help to discuss it with people in the same situation.

Moderators: Rosie, Joe Fogey, midjet, andrewg

SamanthaTruman
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 24 Nov 2003

Depressed After Blood Transfusion

Postby SamanthaTruman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:33 pm

I've had severe UC for 14 years now and haven't been on any medications because I can't handle most of them. Recently, after all these years, I was found to have a hemoglobin of 5.3. I was given 3 units of blood, and my HGB is up to 9.3. I am now on Iron & Vitamin C. I'm still tired and fatigue. I still have to sit down a lot after doing simple things, like sweeping floors. I have a colonoscopy and upper endoscoy scheduled for next Friday. I've been feeling really down today, and am now worried that the doctor might find malignancy this time around. I actually thought I was doing 'good' despite being severely anemic. I'm hoping the colonoscopy comes back okay. Any words of encouragement out there? Or words of concern? I just feel very depressed about the whole ordeal. I don't know if blood transfusions will do that or what, but I just want to cry at times. :(

rogalin47
Power poster
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jul 1992

Re: Depressed After Blood Transfusion

Postby rogalin47 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:45 pm

I don't see why a blood transfusion would leave you feeling depressed but uc certainly can. You're living with a horrible disease with really shitty symptoms (pun intended!!) And this can make you feel both physically and mentally very low. Fatigue can be a major issue with uc. On top of that you're concerned about the forthcoming tests so its not surprising you're feeling rubbish.

It's really a case of taking everything a day at a time. Rest when you can, try and eat as healthily as you are able and make sure you keep hydrated ad all this can have a knock on effect to how you feel.

Hopefully by now you've had the endoscopy and colonoscopy and have been given some idea as to the extent of your uc. I always find it easier to deal with things when I know exactly what is going on as I can face things head on that way. I hope you've been given good news and can feel better about everything.

Do please let us know how you got on
Rogalin x
21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!

Return to “Coping with Colitis”