[POLL] Employer interaction

Nearly three out of four ulcerative colitis (UC) sufferers (73 percent) responding to a new nationwide survey say not feeling well has become a normal part of life. Furthermore, they describe UC as disruptive when it comes to their relationship with a spouse (64 percent), their sexual relations (75 percent) and their emotional state (82 percent).
How do you cope with colitis ? Are you struggling with the emotional effects ? Even if a problem shared isn't a problem halved it may help to discuss it with people in the same situation.

Managements intereaction to disability

Disability is fully recognised
20%
DDA & Equaity Act followed
20%
Employers has Disability Policy which is followed
16%
Appropriate Reasonable Adjustments in place
20%
Disability not recognised
8%
DDA & Equility Act not followed
8%
Employers has Disability Policy but is not followed
4%
Employer has no Disability Policy
No votes
No Reasonable Adjustments in place
No votes
Reasonable Adjustments removed
4%

Total votes: 25

primus58
Power poster

Post by primus58 »

I've had UC for years (approx. 16 year)... have been employed for the whole time... my management have been very understand for the most part... however in recent years, due to a change in management, that understanding seems to have faded away...

Currently, I feel that even though my Employer has Disability Policy in place, my Management don't seem know how to manage someone with a disability...

In an ideal world, the first 4 question should all be answered... however as some of us know... this is not the case...

PLEASE TICK 4 BOXES

NB: Yon can change your mind if circumstances change...i.e. re-submit your votes...
Last edited by primus58 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ulcerative Colitis... just add a pinch of Humour and you'll be fine!

I work for the Ministry of Justice, and I am also Union Disability Rep...

Lapphundlady

Re: [POLL] Employer interaction

Post by Lapphundlady »

I have an appointment with Occ Health tomorrow so I will probably fill your poll in then

IBDetuned

Post by IBDetuned »

Lapphundlady wrote:I have an appointment with Occ Health tomorrow so I will probably fill your poll in then
I've just been referred to OH today. My boss was not aware my symptoms were so bad - not surprising, since the severity of colitis is not well known (and unfortunately the acronym IBD shares two letters with the less serious IBS). However, once I gave her the run down she was a lot more sympathetic.

As I work for a local authority within Disabilities Services, I'm hoping for a good response from OH.

Lapphundlady

Post by Lapphundlady »

Been to occ health and he was very supportive although said not much an employer can do to help apart from make sure I can get to a loo quickly and make sure I don't take on too much as it will not help. He said not to worry if doc says next week still not fit but when I do go back a week of reduced hours should help. Said hr had gone back to 2002 which as far as he was concerned was irrelevant. Also said I'm not flagged for I'll health retirement yet! Won't do poll until I hear from my hr team.

primus58
Power poster

Post by primus58 »

Even though this is a old post, please feel free to vote... as it would be good to see if there is any change...

Ulcerative Colitis... just add a pinch of Humour and you'll be fine!

I work for the Ministry of Justice, and I am also Union Disability Rep...