[POLL] Gender of Colitis

Nearly three out of four ulcerative colitis (UC) sufferers (73 percent) responding to a new nationwide survey say not feeling well has become a normal part of life. Furthermore, they describe UC as disruptive when it comes to their relationship with a spouse (64 percent), their sexual relations (75 percent) and their emotional state (82 percent).
How do you cope with colitis ? Are you struggling with the emotional effects ? Even if a problem shared isn't a problem halved it may help to discuss it with people in the same situation.

What gender are you

Male
51%
Female
49%

Total votes: 35

primus58
Power poster
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jun 1994

[POLL] Gender of Colitis

Post by primus58 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:17 pm

A lot of people ask if Ulcerative Colitis affects mainly Men, Women or Both...

... I thought that a simple way to answer the quaetion was to have POLL...

For my [POLL] Average age of sufferers (part 2) follow the link viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5255

Ulcerative Colitis... just add a pinch of Humour and you'll be fine!

I work for the Ministry of Justice, and am currently the Membership Co-Ordinator for my department's Disability Network... and I am also Union Disability Rep...

primus58
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jun 1994

Re: [POLL] Gender of Colitis

Post by primus58 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:34 am

This shows how wrong I was... I thought it would have been mainly guys...

Ulcerative Colitis... just add a pinch of Humour and you'll be fine!

I work for the Ministry of Justice, and am currently the Membership Co-Ordinator for my department's Disability Network... and I am also Union Disability Rep...

Alexandria
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 14 Aug 2011

Post by Alexandria » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:27 am

I don’t think you will get an accurate % as it all depends on whether the site has a predominantly female membership or men, I would say more women as men seem less likely to come on forums like this as they maybe feel uncomfortable discussing this type of thing.
Would be nice to know though wouldn’t it and also maybe a poll to see the % of sufferers where it is definitely hereditary.
Whichever sex you are I hope you are feeling well.

PainInTheGuts
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jun 2008

Post by PainInTheGuts » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi reading your post reminded me of a website I found a while ago which had lots of interesting information I did not know. Its an interesting read. Scroll down the page to the heading "How Common is IBD and Ulcerative Colitis?". Apparently its 50 % men 50 % women. This information is from America not the UK though but I would imagine its probably about the same everywhere. Here is the link:
http://www.ccfa.org/info/about/ucp