Newly UC Diagnosis Help me!

Nearly three out of four ulcerative colitis (UC) sufferers (73 percent) responding to a new nationwide survey say not feeling well has become a normal part of life. Furthermore, they describe UC as disruptive when it comes to their relationship with a spouse (64 percent), their sexual relations (75 percent) and their emotional state (82 percent).
How do you cope with colitis ? Are you struggling with the emotional effects ? Even if a problem shared isn't a problem halved it may help to discuss it with people in the same situation.
Bagpuss24
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 22 Feb 2017

Newly UC Diagnosis Help me!

Post by Bagpuss24 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:49 am

Hi All

I am new here as I was Diagnosed with UC on 22nd Feb 2017.

I need some support please cause I am struggling to come to terms with the condition.

I have lost my appetite cause I am scared of the symptoms. (I know that is silly) but I suffer from Anxiety.

upthecreek
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 27 Mar 2013

Re: Newly UC Diagnosis Help me!

Post by upthecreek » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi Bagpuss24,

Feeling scared is a completely natural reaction to your diagnosis. You will have lots of thoughts and unanswered questions going around and around in your head about the impact UC will have on your life. You have come to the right place to share your thoughts and feelings with people who have been through the same thing and it is great to be able to ask questions and receive some really useful information from people who have been there.

The first thing I would say is try and see your diagnosis as something positive. This is the start of you getting the help and treatment you need to manage your condition and get back to living life again. Don't worry about not having much appetite - eat what you like when you feel like it and don't stress about it, it won't last forever. It is very important to keep your fluid intake up whilst suffering with diarrhoea, so drink plenty. Weight loss is pretty much inevitable until your symptoms are under control, but when they are you will gradually put on weight and become stronger.

Are you under the care of a Gastro or IBD Consultant? If so you could ask for a referral to a nutritionist if you are concerned about managing your weight. What medication are you taking? This could also be impacting on your appetite.

I really hope you start to feel better soon and remember, this forum is a great place to discuss your fears with people who really understand, so don't be afraid to ask anything. You will hopefully find it helpful in coming to terms with your diagnosis.

Bagpuss24
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 22 Feb 2017

Post by Bagpuss24 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks for getting back to me!

I did manage to eat some bread and cheese last night for tea then later I had some Rice Krispies! (I know that isn't very good but that was what I fancied!)

I am making sure that I drink LOADS as I know diarrhea can cause dehydration. I want to eat but I have to convince my brain that food is good! (Easier said then done)

Karencraig
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 08 Jan 2010

Post by Karencraig » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:36 pm

I understand how you feel. I love my food, but during flare ups the thought of eating, and then the flaring - horrendous. I even didnt want to eat after starving and taking a bowel cleanser for a colonoscopy, cos it felt so good not needing to rush to the toilet!

Eat what and when you fancy, forget eating healthy, as long as you are eating, thats more important. Rice Krispies are great,

Up the Creek's advice is stop on. I've nothing to add.

EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.