Found cells with dysplasia? Any advice

Nearly three out of four ulcerative colitis (UC) sufferers (73 percent) responding to a new nationwide survey say not feeling well has become a normal part of life. Furthermore, they describe UC as disruptive when it comes to their relationship with a spouse (64 percent), their sexual relations (75 percent) and their emotional state (82 percent).
How do you cope with colitis ? Are you struggling with the emotional effects ? Even if a problem shared isn't a problem halved it may help to discuss it with people in the same situation.
Lewkyle88
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 07 May 2003

Found cells with dysplasia? Any advice

Post by Lewkyle88 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:19 am

Hey guys,

Got diagnosed with UC when I was 13. For the most part after the steroid treatment it's been under control.

Last year they found I had developed psc in my liver as a side effect. On a routine colonoscopy earlier this year they found abnormal "dysplasia" cells.

I have a follow up appointment next week.

Just wondering if any of you have had the same and what it means and the action they took?

Thanks
Lewis

rogalin47
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jul 1992

Re: Found cells with dysplasia? Any advice

Post by rogalin47 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Hmm, I have dithered over answering this question as I really dont want to be a scaremongerer but a friend of mine who had the same thing was advised to have a total colectomy to stop the abnormal cells from turning cancerous. The op was a complete success and five years on she is living a full and healthy life with an internal J pouch. Best of all she is UC free and free from any dangers of anything turning nasty inside her.

I too have had a total colectomy, I opted to have a permanent stoma four years ago and ive never looked back. Its scary at the time as it is a big op and a big decision to have to make but honestly it is usually a life changer...... And all for the better

Feel free to ask any questions..... Happy to help if I can

Please let us know how your appointment goes
Rogalin x

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!

Lewkyle88
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 07 May 2003

Post by Lewkyle88 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:20 pm

rogalin47 wrote:Hmm, I have dithered over answering this question as I really dont want to be a scaremongerer but a friend of mine who had the same thing was advised to have a total colectomy to stop the abnormal cells from turning cancerous. The op was a complete success and five years on she is living a full and healthy life with an internal J pouch. Best of all she is UC free and free from any dangers of anything turning nasty inside her.

I too have had a total colectomy, I opted to have a permanent stoma four years ago and ive never looked back. Its scary at the time as it is a big op and a big decision to have to make but honestly it is usually a life changer...... And all for the better

Feel free to ask any questions..... Happy to help if I can

Please let us know how your appointment goes
Rogalin x
Firstly thank you for replying.

Is that the only course of action they would take? In the letter explaining they had found it there was mention of it being removed via another colonoscopy?

My colon is largely inflammation free aside from a very small region at the top and I do not get any pain or flare ups at all really.

rogalin47
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jul 1992

Post by rogalin47 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:25 pm

Im sorry but I dont know the answer to that. I do know that some things can be done during a colonoscopy such as the removal of polyps. Thats one question for your consultant to answer for sure

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!