New Memeber: Bad flare up

Nearly three out of four ulcerative colitis (UC) sufferers (73 percent) responding to a new nationwide survey say not feeling well has become a normal part of life. Furthermore, they describe UC as disruptive when it comes to their relationship with a spouse (64 percent), their sexual relations (75 percent) and their emotional state (82 percent).
How do you cope with colitis ? Are you struggling with the emotional effects ? Even if a problem shared isn't a problem halved it may help to discuss it with people in the same situation.
foolsgold

New Memeber: Bad flare up

Post by foolsgold »

hi new member here.
i was diagnosed at 40 a year and a half ago with ulcerative proctitis, although it has probably went un-diagnosed for a long time. Ive not had a bad year up until 2 and half months ago. im now experiencing one of the most difficult times of my life.
I left work early with mild abdominal cramps, however it soon deteriorated into the worst abdominal pain ive experienced, in fact worse pain ive ever felt. ive spent the majority of last 10 weeks in agony, spending most nights on the living room floor cured up in a ball groaning in agony with a hot water bottle. this culminated in a hospital admission for iv steroids and morphine as i couldn't get out of bed and could barely walk to toilet. im scheduled for an mri, ultrasound and an upper gastro endoscopy at end of month and just had full bloods done on friday. Last week i contracted a stomach infection causing vomiting and diarrhea for a solid 16 hours and yet another visit to the house by the doctor.
Ive lost 2 stone in these 10 weeks, my joints are agony particularly my knees, to the point i find it hard to get back up to a standing position if i have to stand, im getting dry skin around knees and elbows. My body feels ruined. If im lucky i sleep maybe 1 or 2 hours a night, so im completely physically and mentally exhausted, very teary around my family and when im alone. Stupid things can send me crying, like a usb cable breaking the other day lol.
im currently prescribed, morning 60mg prednisolone,1g mesalazine suppositry, 3.2g mesalazine granles, 30mg lansoprozole, paracetemol, laxido x2
lunch paracetemol, laxido x2
evening paraetemol, laxido x2
night 1g masalazine suppositry, paracetemol
im also on morphine for the pain up to 6 x10mg daily, porcloperazine for nausea and diaralyte when needed. Obviously im careful with the morphine as it can constipate you but its the only thing that takes edge off the pain.
Ive cut out all processed food in my diet, whitebread, potatoes, sugars etc.
My bowel movements are erratic, days of diarrhea where im going to toilet 10-20 times or more a day to being constipated.
Im kind of just looking for advice if theres anything more i could be doing,im at my wits end, family are worried sick. i talk to my ibd nurse and gp weekly, my gps been great. I look like the walking dead but with less energy.

Karencraig
Power poster

Re: New Memeber: Bad flare up

Post by Karencraig »

You are doing everything you can. Keeping in touch with your IBD nurse is exactly what you need to do.
Keep a diary of your symptoms and how its affecting you, for your next appointment. You are on a high dose of steroids, so you may need another autoimmune/maintenance treatment for controlling your flare up.
Presume from what you are saying you are due an appointment with your gastroenterologist. If not ask your IBD nurse for an appointment to discuss the medication.

While you are flaring have a low fibre diet, it agravates the sore bowel. Forget healthy eating, eat what you fancy, and what feels comfortable.

It will get better. You will get your life back.

EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.

foolsgold

Post by foolsgold »

Thanks for reply. Yeah have appointment with consultant next thursday.

Karencraig
Power poster

Post by Karencraig »

Good luck

EX UC sufferer,surgery on 1 March 2012!!! Marvin (Stoma) became my life enhancer.