Feeling low

Nearly three out of four ulcerative colitis (UC) sufferers (73 percent) responding to a new nationwide survey say not feeling well has become a normal part of life. Furthermore, they describe UC as disruptive when it comes to their relationship with a spouse (64 percent), their sexual relations (75 percent) and their emotional state (82 percent).
How do you cope with colitis ? Are you struggling with the emotional effects ? Even if a problem shared isn't a problem halved it may help to discuss it with people in the same situation.
Kayleigh23
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 17 Nov 2014

Feeling low

Post by Kayleigh23 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi, I'm new to this and not to sure where to start! I have had colitis for 3 years, I'm currently having a strange kind of flare up which I have every 6 months or so. My stomach will hurt a little bit and I will get the sharp pains but the worst part is how low I feel.

Does anyone know of any ways to lift myself up out of these moods? talking to people I know is hard as how do you explain colitis?

Kayleigh :)

philayl63
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 0- 2-2001

Re: Feeling low

Post by philayl63 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi Kayleigh, I'm afraid colitis is very hard for anyone who doesn't suffer from it, or knows intimately anyone who suffers from it to understand, if you let it get to you it can get you down, I always tried to stay positive, if I had a flare up I knew that eventually the meds would get a hold of it but I have always been a half full type of person. Up to now they have taken away my colitis in two operations (best thing I ever had done), but luckily they haven't managed to remove my sense of humour, even going into theatre they asked me if I knew what operation they going to perform and I replied "Yes, a sex change", you should have seen them double checking their notes! Just stay positive things will improve, just enjoy the good times, there's always someone on here who understands and will help. Phil