iam newly diag

Nearly three out of four ulcerative colitis (UC) sufferers (73 percent) responding to a new nationwide survey say not feeling well has become a normal part of life. Furthermore, they describe UC as disruptive when it comes to their relationship with a spouse (64 percent), their sexual relations (75 percent) and their emotional state (82 percent).
How do you cope with colitis ? Are you struggling with the emotional effects ? Even if a problem shared isn't a problem halved it may help to discuss it with people in the same situation.

Moderators: Rosie, midjet, andrewg, Joe Fogey

colcol60
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 16 Feb 2017

iam newly diag

Post by colcol60 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:40 pm

hello everyone newly diagnosed in feb this year i have moderate uc and currently take asascol 800 2 x3 a day also folic acid vitamin d multi vitamins i have not seen a gi at present waiting for appointment which i hope wont be to long a question i would like to ask is can i take asprin whist takin asacol

rogalin47
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jul 1992

Re: iam newly diag

Post by rogalin47 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:28 pm

It is advisable not to take NSAID'S (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) such as aspirin or ibuprofen when you have an IBD like UC or Crohns as they can irritate the gut and make things worse. If you need painkillers you are better off sticking to paracetamol as it is gentler on your gut.

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!

colcol60

Post by colcol60 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:52 am

thanks for your reply my consultant whom diagnosed me with uc was aware i was already taking asprin for small vessell disease and never told me to stop taking asprin which i will stop immediatly

rogalin47
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jul 1992

Post by rogalin47 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:20 am

If you have been prescribed aspirin for another condition please do not stop taking it until you have spoken to a health professional. It may be that the reasons for taking it outweigh the risks. Please do check first.

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!

colcol60

Post by colcol60 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:53 am

will do ill make appointment with my go and see if there are any other options