New member: investigations for colitis

Nearly three out of four ulcerative colitis (UC) sufferers (73 percent) responding to a new nationwide survey say not feeling well has become a normal part of life. Furthermore, they describe UC as disruptive when it comes to their relationship with a spouse (64 percent), their sexual relations (75 percent) and their emotional state (82 percent).
How do you cope with colitis ? Are you struggling with the emotional effects ? Even if a problem shared isn't a problem halved it may help to discuss it with people in the same situation.
Gracie78
What is your status: Other

New member: investigations for colitis

Post by Gracie78 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:48 am

Hi all,

Hope it's ok to post as I don't have an actual diagnosis yet.

I have had a change in bowel habits with frequent loose, watery stools, awful stomach cramps, particular sharp pains in my right lower abdomin. Some mucus. No blood. I do have piles, confirmed by rectal examination.

I went to GP Friday and have been referred urgently. I think the urgency is due to my awful family history. My mom has ulcerative colitis, as do both of her sisters and one cousin on that side of the family. I also have a cousin on that side with Chrons Disease.

I'm just really scared at the urgency. I know about living with colitis after watching my mom struggle for years. I've been sent for blood tests and I'm frightened of the results. Googling takes me to bowel cancer websites which has frightened me even more! I'm all over the place emotionally and am going to really struggle with the waiting. Anxiety makes the loose stools and cramps worse - or seems to!

Does anyone have any experiences they could offer? What is likely to happen at consultation? Does this sound like UC to you?

Also, and I'm aware that I am symptom spotting here, but I've read about joint problems associated with UC. For the last few months I've been really suffering with my left hip joint. It's very painful and I am waiting for physio. Would this be an early symptom or something that people who have lived with UC a while would develop?

Thank you so much for reading.

philayl63
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 0- 2-2001

Re: New member: investigations for colitis

Post by philayl63 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi, I do understand your worry but It would make things easier if you were able to control it, I know it's easy to say but we have all been through it and know that worry makes the symptoms worse, try concentrating on the positives, if it is the worst, which I doubt, it is very successfully treated now, my wife has been in this position a couple of years back but is now healthy and happy. Your symptoms all point to UC, but a Colonoscopy will tell you exactly where you stand, and the good thing about Colonoscopy's is that you don't have to wait for the results, you are told there and then what, if anything, they have found, your consultant will probably arrange this at your first appointment. If it is UC it is very treatable with medication, you might have to try a few different medications but one of them will suit you. To control the urgency and fear of not being able to make it in time I suggest you see your GP and ask him for some some Loperamide, these should help, if you pay for prescriptions you can get them quite cheaply from your supermarket, do not pay for Immoduium, they contain exactly the same as Loperamide but are about 10 times dearer. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Phil