colitis is not always a chronic illness

Nearly three out of four ulcerative colitis (UC) sufferers (73 percent) responding to a new nationwide survey say not feeling well has become a normal part of life. Furthermore, they describe UC as disruptive when it comes to their relationship with a spouse (64 percent), their sexual relations (75 percent) and their emotional state (82 percent).
How do you cope with colitis ? Are you struggling with the emotional effects ? Even if a problem shared isn't a problem halved it may help to discuss it with people in the same situation.
minnieandhammy

colitis is not always a chronic illness

Post by minnieandhammy »

I don't know if my experience of colitis was unusual but I was a well person then suddenly developed one rapid severe episode of colitis at 28 which became so bad I had to be admitted to hospital as an an emergency, have a blood transfusion, IV drugs which didn't work and 2 weeks after being diagnosed with colitis while practically dying in hospital and not even ever having heard of an ileostomy I was given a colectomy and ileostomy. I am now 47 and due to a failed pouch 10 years ago I still have an ileostomy. I am potentially awaiting a redo pouch which I hope will work. it has been very hard living with a stoma given the circumstances and my battle with colitis has been about living with a stoma out of the blue. It is weird because I was not a chronically ill person before getting the stoma. I was acutely ill out of the blue for about 2 months.