UC during pregnancy period

Being pregnant is a big undertaking for anyone. For someone with colitis it is probably a time of great concern.
Having said that many people with colitis have had quite normal pregnancies. Others have struggled. Please use this area to share your experiences or ask for advice.

Moderators: Rosie, Joe Fogey, midjet, andrewg

Tharia Mark
What is your status: Carer or relative
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 16 Feb 2016

UC during pregnancy period

Postby Tharia Mark » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:58 am

Hi all,
As I have mentioned in my intro post, I'm here for my cousin who is suffering from ulcerative colitis. Now she is 6 months carrying, eagerly waiting for the arrival of their first baby. It was during the first trimester, the disease was diagnosed. Although she had been suffering from diarrhea and abdominal pain, all of us thought that it was a part of pregnancy. But when she started having rectal pain, we thought of having a checkup. After the checkup, we were shocked to hear that she was suffering from IBD. She started taking the treatment from last week onwards.

As she is going overweight, the doctor advised her to go for prenatal yoga classes. Since she is a very lady, she is not willing for that. In such a situation what can be done? Our concern is whether there will be any delivery complications because of UC? Is there any proper diet that has to be followed by such patients? Will the treatment of UC affect the health of the mother and the baby? If you know about it, please do share your thoughts.

Return to “Pregnancy”