Pregnancy and vedolizumab

Being pregnant is a big undertaking for anyone. For someone with colitis it is probably a time of great concern.
Having said that many people with colitis have had quite normal pregnancies. Others have struggled. Please use this area to share your experiences or ask for advice.

Moderators: Rosie, midjet, andrewg, Joe Fogey

claire1977
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 0-11-2009

Pregnancy and vedolizumab

Post by claire1977 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Hi
I was wondering if anyone has had vedolizumab infusions during pregnancy?
Thanks in advance for any advice

mybigredbum
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Mar 2015

Re: Pregnancy and vedolizumab

Post by mybigredbum » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:40 am

Hiya,

I am not currently pregnant but I have discussed the pros/cons of pregnancy while taking Vedo with my gastro consultant.

The long and the short of it is that although there have not been many studies of safety it is deemed safer to take during pregnancy than nothing at all. This is on the basis of it being similar to other biologic therapies, which have been taken in pregnancy by lots of women. So far there have been no reported issues.

I think they do advise you to pause doses it in the third trimester. Apparently breastfeeding is not affected either because of the way it is metabolised in the body.

However, it is very much a personal choice. I think I have made the decision to go for surgery before I start trying to get pregnant, but this is a very tough decision and I think that I would be supported by my doctors if I did decide to stay on Vedo and try and conceive. The main thing they've said to me is do not try to conceive while you are still in flare. Are you in remission? If so, it's probably an easier decision for you. I am still a bit symptomatic so I don't think the Vedo is a long term solution anyway.

Best of luck!

(my blog: www.mybigredbumdiary.wordpress.com)