Adalimumab Humira in Pregnancy

Being pregnant is a big undertaking for anyone. For someone with colitis it is probably a time of great concern.
Having said that many people with colitis have had quite normal pregnancies. Others have struggled. Please use this area to share your experiences or ask for advice.

Moderators: Rosie, midjet, andrewg, Joe Fogey

Loretta31
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 07 Mar 2013

Adalimumab Humira in Pregnancy

Post by Loretta31 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum but have been advised by my IBD nurse to ask - Have any of you been on Humira Injections throughout the entire pregnancy?
I went off it at 23 weeks as per Consultant and Nurses instruction. I'm currently 25 weeks and have already started to flare up and they really don't want to have me use <a href="http://www.ulcerativecolitis.org.uk/medications/steroids.htm" target="_blank">prednisolone</a> for the rest of my pregnancy as its more a short term fix.

They have said there isn't any scientific evidence to prove that Pregnant woman who take Humira adalimumab throughout their pregnancy had caused any defects to their baby. The study does say that in the third trimester it has been found to cross the placenta and is found in Babys blood stream which then leads to the baby not being allowed LIVE vaccines for 5 to 6 months after birth. I'm really worried now and need all the help and info i can get. I have checked online and even the adalimumab website stated that there isn't any evidence to say Not to take this medication whilst pregnant.

My IBD nurse is checking with colleagues from over seas to see if they have come across it as she has never had anyone stay on the injections longer than 24 weeks.

Please Help!