Any advice very gratefully received...

Many people find they have problems at work with their current/potential employer not understanding their colitis. Please post here if you would like help or are experiencing issues.

Moderators: Rosie, Joe Fogey, midjet, andrewg

primus58
Power poster
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jun 1994

Re: Any advice very gratefully received...

Postby primus58 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Karencraig wrote:...You can contact Equality commission directly who will answer questions specifically to you. email englandhelpline@equalityhumanrights.com
I know that Karencraig suggested contacting the Equality Commission , however their helpline service has now been replaced by the Equality Advisory Support Service viewtopic.php?f=39&t=7294

But yes, you should contact them, speak to someone who knows more about this stuff than me.... You can send an email via their webpage.
Ulcerative Colitis... just add a pinch of Humour and you'll be fine!

I work for the Ministry of Justice, and am currently the Membership Co-Ordinator for my department's Disability Network... and I am also Union Disability Rep...

magenta may
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jun 2009

Postby magenta may » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 pm

I had emailed the Equality Advisory Support Service already - I found them while researching for the meeting. Their reply runs very much along the lines of what you've already said Primus, that ulcerative colitis is likely to put me under the heading of disability and that employers need to make reasonable adjustments to avoid discrimination. I printed off the email and took it into the meeting, and gave it to the HR lady along with the NACC leaflet - but I suspect it wasn't so much as glanced at. I might email them back and just put the current situation to them...couldn't hurt could it? I'm hating feeling like I'm rocking the boat...but then, I really hated dragging myself in while flaring up for half a term, and I also really hate my serious health problem being airily dismissed one the one hand while being simultaneously used as a stick to beat me with on the other!

primus58
Power poster
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jun 1994

Postby primus58 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:05 am

Most employers don't understand, until of course you have an accident at work,,,

in my case, at first they were looking for the person with the nose bleed...until I told them where the blood was coming from...
Ulcerative Colitis... just add a pinch of Humour and you'll be fine!

I work for the Ministry of Justice, and am currently the Membership Co-Ordinator for my department's Disability Network... and I am also Union Disability Rep...

elfie123

Postby elfie123 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi there
I have had similar issues at work, and may face them again this week as I have been off again. One thing to remember is that an example of a reasonable adjustment under the equality act could be that the sickness absence trigger points are relaxed in your case. It doesn't mean you can have unlimted time off, but that the employer shows empathy and doesn't just apply the same strict guidelines in a case where you can't control your illness. I'm a union rep myself and it was only through my own issues and with help form my union Full time Official that I realised that I could come under the equality act and when I brought this to the attention of my employer they were understanding, but made it clear that any other times I am off we will have the same discussions! Maybe try discussing the act with your employers and asking that they relax your sick trigger points. They should be helping you rather than stressing you out!
Hope that helps!

elfie123

Postby elfie123 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi again!
I just re read your post...just out of interest, when they said they were putting you on a "supporting attendance" thing -what did that entail? How did they support you?
It's terrible that you felt you had to refuse hospital admission. And don't feel sorry that you had to ask for help...that's what we are here for...ask anything anytime rather than worrying.
My advice to you (with my union rep hat on)would be...as I said in the last post, explain to your employer exactly how bad you feel and that you are worried about losing your job and all that entails, explain to them how debilitating the illness is(ie it's not just a dose of diarrhea), that you feel pressured into coming into work when you should have been hospitalised, and ask that instead of making you feel this way, they do what they can to alleviate stress,remove the supporting attendance thing, and relax the trigger points for you. Tell them that they will be seen as a good employer rather than the dickensian types they appear to be. Mmm...maybe don't call them dickensian at the meeting, they won't like that!! but do make out that they will be good employers if they listen.
Hope that helps -wish I could come in there with you! don't mean to tell you how to suck eggs - but a good thing to do is write down how you feel and the various points you want to make before you go in to any meeting, and don't go into a meeting alone. Get your union rep in with you and explain it all to him as well.

colitis06
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 11 Jun 2006

Postby colitis06 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:12 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might have any experience of taking an employer to a tribunal for unfair dismissal due to ulcerative colitis by the Ministry of Justice.

I have now had my first tribunal hearing which unfortunately did not go in my favour; a new hearing date has been set in 2 weeks times to take place at the Employment Appeal Tribunal. My legal team is quite supportive, however this case has been dragging on this 2014 and it is becoming very stressful.

I would appreciate any guidance/help.

Thank you.

Return to “Employment and Workplace Issues”