Abscess drainage

Are you considering surgery ? Have you had surgery ? Trying to cope with colostomy ? Share your experience with others here.

Moderators: Rosie, midjet, andrewg, Joe Fogey

tallychart
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 23 Aug 1998
Spammer Detection Please Leave Blank: Option 1 of 5

Abscess drainage

Post by tallychart » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:41 pm

Hi there,

I'm probably not gonna get any answers but I thought I'd give it a shot before I try find some answers in a few days but anyway. I recently had an perianal abscess drained and was apparently given 5mg of prednisolone before the surgery because I've been on varying doses of prednisolone for two years. I am currently on 2.5mg of prednisolone so it made sense for them to give me 5mg for the surgery BUT after I came around, I was told I had to wait 7 hours and then they'd give me a cortisone injection. I kept asking why I needed this as I've never had this before (I suffer from recurring abscesses), they told me they didn't know and the consultant had requested it. So I waited 7 hours in a hospital bed and then they started giving me the cortisone intravenously, once she started I asked what the dosage was and she said 50mg (which I was insanely confused at). She had to stop two thirds of the way through as my hand was stiff, I nearly fainted, and nearly threw up. But my question is does anyone have any idea why I would have been given 50mg of cortisone? Any suggestions is fine, I'll hopefully be seeing the doctor later this week to maybe find out.

Thanks!

rogalin47
Power poster
What is your status: Colitis Sufferer
Date first diagnosed with IBD: 01 Jul 1992

Re: Abscess drainage

Post by rogalin47 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:00 pm

Sorry I can't answer your question but hopefully your doctor has managed to by now. Just wanted to say I hope you feel better soon :yes:

21 years of evil UC over on 6th April 2013, welcome to Norman the stoma whose given me my life back!!